Skip to main content

Remember Who You Are Juggling For


Life is busy. If you haven’t figured that out by now, you are probably in for a rude awakening. I am really starting to realize how impossible it is to fit everything in. It is especially hard as a young, single college student.  There is school. There is homework. There is work. There are church callings. There is scripture study and prayers. On top of all that, you want to try to have an ounce of a social life. It is hard! Sometimes life can be overwhelming.
Sometimes, I feel so split in all these different directions. I feel like it is impossible to get it all done. I wake up in the morning and I have to attend 4 hours of class. Then I need to go to work. Once I come home, it doesn’t stop there. I have homework to complete, projects to work on, emails to send, students to contact, and people to visit. I try to get all these things done quickly so I can get a couple of hours to chill with my boyfriend before going to bed at a decent hour and waking up to start it over again. The hardest realization is that they are all good things. It is important to do all of these tasks, but sometimes (a lot of times) there is literally not enough hours in the day. Granted- I have started eliminating some of the ‘time-wasters’ in my life these last two months (Hulu and Netflix watching). I have tried to make sure my life is balanced. I don’t want to have too much of one thing that then takes away time from something else. It just becomes a juggling act.
Being at BYU, I have a wonderful professor named Brad Wilcox who loves to relate spiritual insights into our everyday educator life. Of course because it was an education class, he read us this children’s book. It is called “The Clown of God.” At the end of the story, Brother Wilcox asked us who we were juggling for. He told us that some days you will not get it all done. It isn’t possible, especially as a teacher, to get everything that you want done in a single day. There is always more that can be done. But as you realize who you are juggling for, you will get done what you need to get done. You will see what the most important parts are in that moment. It can change from day to day. It will all work out how it is supposed to work out.
Honestly, I sometimes feel completely inadequate. Especially after my accident a couple of months, I felt completely weak. I felt like I couldn’t get everything done. I felt like I should be stronger physically and emotionally. The accident was a lot harder than I had expected both physically and emotionally. It took a really long time to feel like I was some what normal. In that moment though, I let a lot of my juggling balls drop. I dropped going to class for that Monday. I dropped having meetings for my calling. I dropped my exercise routine. I dropped some of my work responsibilities. I dropped a lot of my ‘free time’. Physically and emotionally I was not able to complete these things.
While I dropped a lot of these juggling balls, I kept the important ones in the air. I was still attending church and completing my scripture study. I was still doing my calling as much as I could. I was still having time to spend with my friends. I also picked up a couple juggling balls that same week. I picked up practicum and writing lesson plans. I picked up going to the chiropractor every day. I picked up my parents coming into town. I picked up balancing my new relationship in this new style of life.
Life needed to change. We can’t juggle all the balls all the time. It just isn’t possible. If we try to juggle too much at once, we end up dropping everything. In these moments when we feel like we are falling, when we feel like we are dropping everything, we can reach out like Peter and Christ will be there to lift us up.
As we work with juggling our lives, we need to draw ourselves closer to God. He is the one that we are juggling for. He is the one that helps us keep all the right balls in the air and to know which ones need to drop at certain times in our life. At the right times, He will also throw new things into the mix because He knows we can handle them.

He knows us. We need to know Him. Just remember who you are juggling for and always remember…
Come what may and love it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answered Prayers

To those of you who heard my testimony today, I apologize that I am repeating myself. This is an experience I just needed to write down for myself. Let's rewind to Monday night. I hadn't been feeling all that great. I had only gotten 3 hours of sleep the night before. I just was ready to go to bed. I told myself that I would come home from FHE and go to sleep. I was in my pajamas by 8:30- crazy for a college student, right? One of my friends dropped in for a visit. After she left, I had one of those moments where I just felt completely alone. I went to my room and prayed when a few simple words came to my mind. "Heavenly Father, Are you really there? And do you hear and answer every child's prayer?" These two lines from the children's primary song were stuck in my mind. In the moment, it is easy to doubt that Heavenly Father answers our prayers. How can He really hear every single prayer around the world? How can He answer every single one? It just

Becoming Myself: A Year in the Making

I have never really had the opportunity to be myself. I have always felt the need to hide who I really am because of those around me. The first time I remember doing this was in third grade. My third grade teacher was strict. This is much more than just the normal "mean teacher"- she would threaten to hang us by our toenails in the corner if we did not behave. Before third grade, I was very outgoing, but I lost that because of fear. It just went deeper and deeper as the years went on. My freshman year of college, I told myself that I was going to start new. I tried to be myself, but it was really hard. Then with roommate issues, I turned back into my shell. I hid who I was. The next year, I moved in with the"friends" that I had made Freshman year. 4 girls who I thought I could trust through everything. Things happened and by the time winter semester came, my two best friends moved out to go on missions and the other two girls who I had known since Freshman year

Our Story (Part 2)

Our Story:  Starting Our Relationship Part 2 of 2 Kindred Dead Show (1 month into dating) Our story was a little different than most, but I love it that way. I left off where we were just friends. When I say that we were just friends, I completely mean it. I didn't have feelings for him, he didn't have feelings for me. We both had moved on to other people. Life continued to move forward. As I said before, Gariet helped me through one of my hardest times with depression. He helped me when I just needed a friend. I needed him more as a friend than anything else. Meeting Gariet's Family We both went home for winter break. Gariet knew that I was worried about this because of everything that I was going through at that time. He stood by me, even though he forgot his phone in Utah. He would send me Facebook messages, iMessages, and called me on Skype. I started to realize that I still had feelings for this crazy boy. I kept denying it. I couldn't like