Skip to main content

Our Story (Part 2)

Our Story: 
Starting Our Relationship
Part 2 of 2

Kindred Dead Show (1 month into dating)

Our story was a little different than most, but I love it that way. I left off where we were just friends. When I say that we were just friends, I completely mean it. I didn't have feelings for him, he didn't have feelings for me. We both had moved on to other people. Life continued to move forward.

As I said before, Gariet helped me through one of my hardest times with depression. He helped me when I just needed a friend. I needed him more as a friend than anything else.

Meeting Gariet's Family
We both went home for winter break. Gariet knew that I was worried about this because of everything that I was going through at that time. He stood by me, even though he forgot his phone in Utah. He would send me Facebook messages, iMessages, and called me on Skype. I started to realize that I still had feelings for this crazy boy. I kept denying it. I couldn't like him! He was just my friend! He liked someone else! Nothing could every happen!

Jazz game with Mom and Kevin
We came back from break and I kept denying my feelings how I felt about Gariet. I knew that he liked someone else and I tried to act supportive. But then I realized that I hated this girl that I use to think so highly of. I was a jealous mess. The worst part is this other girl kept leading Gariet on and I think that is what upset me the most. He finally gave up on her. That is when I started talking to Gariet's roommate. I told him that I thought I still had feelings for Gariet. We talked almost every night. I kept telling him that I was moving on. I kept telling him that I did not like Gariet, but I did.

Gariet had this deal with his parents that he needed to go on 10 dates with 10 different people before starting to date someone seriously. He went on that date at the beginning of last February. Gariet's roommate and I both made a comment about that date.

Then Valentine's Day happened. I went to a "Singles Awareness" Party that Gariet's roommates were throwing. We had a good time playing games, dancing, and just hanging out. That was the best part of 202. I always had a good time. I also told some of my girlfriends that night that I thought I had feelings for Gariet. They thought I was joking.
Ultimate Games

So now the big question is how did we get from this point to the dating point? This has to be the most embarrassing part of our story.

Exactly a year ago today, I couldn't handle it anymore. I told myself that I was done having feelings for Gariet. I told myself I wasn't going to talk to him all day- no texts, no visits, no nothing. Then at around 10 in the morning, Gariet called me. I remember looking at the phone and having my heart skip a beat and getting really upset at him. I answered the phone. He needed something. He wanted a ride that night to go buy a Wii of KSL. I reluctantly said yes. 


Hiking
After class that day, I went into the office to work. One of my friends, Evan, was there. He knew the story of Gariet and I. I went and sat next to him and complained about how awful I was feeling. After talking with (well complaining to) him, he made a suggestion that one of my other friends had made (and Evan had made before) to write Gariet a note. I thought that Evan was ridiculous. That idea seemed so childish. After contemplating, it felt right. I gave in. Evan and I sat down and wrote this note to Gariet. I had Joseph read over it so that he didn't think I was ridiculous.

Goofball
That night, everything changed. I gave Gariet a ride to get his Wii. It was ironic because the guy thought that we were dating or married and we just laughed it off. Then we came back to Gariet's apartment. I was going to give him the note and head home, but then one of our friends came over too and I didn't want to give the note in front of her. 

I waited. and waited. I stayed up past my bed time. Finally, our friend left. I talked to his roommates a little bit and then Gariet was heading to bed. I went off into the hallway in front of his room to say goodnight. I gave him the note and left it at that. 

The next day... was....miserable.

I didn't hear a word from Gariet. I was dying. Everyone at work knew something was up. I was so anxious. Then finally Gariet sent me a text. Do you know that that text said?

"Will you and Cameron be at my basketball game tonight?'

Romantic, right? To say the least I was ticked. After texting back and forth for a while I sent him a message saying "I am going to be the awkward one and ask if we are going to talk."
1st Date after "The Note"

He responded that it wasn't a matter of if, but when. We worked out the details. That night we talked. I thought that he was just going to friendzone me again. I thought that nothing would come of it. 

Our conversation was really confusing. I was completely lost. I had to ask him "So...are we dating other people?" The answer was No.   

And that is our story. 

We continued from there. It has been a wonderful journey. I can't believe that it has already been a year since we started dating! Now we only have an eternity to go.

Come what may and love it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answered Prayers

To those of you who heard my testimony today, I apologize that I am repeating myself. This is an experience I just needed to write down for myself. Let's rewind to Monday night. I hadn't been feeling all that great. I had only gotten 3 hours of sleep the night before. I just was ready to go to bed. I told myself that I would come home from FHE and go to sleep. I was in my pajamas by 8:30- crazy for a college student, right? One of my friends dropped in for a visit. After she left, I had one of those moments where I just felt completely alone. I went to my room and prayed when a few simple words came to my mind. "Heavenly Father, Are you really there? And do you hear and answer every child's prayer?" These two lines from the children's primary song were stuck in my mind. In the moment, it is easy to doubt that Heavenly Father answers our prayers. How can He really hear every single prayer around the world? How can He answer every single one? It just

Becoming Myself: A Year in the Making

I have never really had the opportunity to be myself. I have always felt the need to hide who I really am because of those around me. The first time I remember doing this was in third grade. My third grade teacher was strict. This is much more than just the normal "mean teacher"- she would threaten to hang us by our toenails in the corner if we did not behave. Before third grade, I was very outgoing, but I lost that because of fear. It just went deeper and deeper as the years went on. My freshman year of college, I told myself that I was going to start new. I tried to be myself, but it was really hard. Then with roommate issues, I turned back into my shell. I hid who I was. The next year, I moved in with the"friends" that I had made Freshman year. 4 girls who I thought I could trust through everything. Things happened and by the time winter semester came, my two best friends moved out to go on missions and the other two girls who I had known since Freshman year