Skip to main content

Society is Wrong.

Rewind to December 3, 2013. I was sitting in the JSB watching the Tuesday Devotional. This was the first devotional that I got to attend since before practicum. Can I just say that it was that it was perfect timing for me? The person speaking was Brother Gerald Causse, the first counselor in the Presiding Bishopric. His devotional address was entitled "For When I Am Weak, Then Am I Strong."

One thing he said really stood out to me. He said "One reason we may not want to acknowledge our personal limitations is that weakness is perceived by society as a fault or a failure." In a little post-it note on my computer desktop, I put "weakness is perceived by society as a fault." It has been there for the past month just reminding me of this wonderful talk.

Fast forward to yesterday. I was sitting at work when one of by good friends came in. I went over to say hi to him and he asked me for some words of wisdom. This caught me off guard. I told him that I was no wiser than him and thus did not really have any words of wisdom, but then he proceeded to tell me "Amy- we all have weaknesses and strengths. My strengths are different than your strengths and my weaknesses are different than your weaknesses. So of your you have some sort of knowledge to share with me." Okay- maybe that isn't an exact quote, but it was along those lines (Sorry Ben if I completely butchered that). We then went on to have a good conversation because I didn't feel weak anymore. I knew that we were both on equal footing, maybe in different areas, but neither one of us was better than the other.

Now today, I was sitting in class (paying close attention of course) and I saw the quote on my desktop. I read it in my mind, but then I wanted to add a part to it. That is when I added three simple words.
"Society is wrong."

It was exactly what I needed to put everything into perspective. "Weakness is perceived by society as a fault. Society is wrong." We are not weak because of our weaknesses. Doesn't that sound a little strange? Our weaknesses are what bring us experience. They are what allow us to humble ourselves to become closer to our Heavenly Father. Why in the world would this be a fault?

Another quote from Brother Causse:
"Recognizing our personal limitations does not mean that we should put ourselves down and wallow in our weaknesses. Accepting our limitations is not an excuse to limit ourselves....Another important point to remember is that we usually experience our greatest growth when we face difficult, if not impossible, situations."

Society wants us to see these weaknesses as what they are just here on earth, but instead we should look to God for help in our weaknesses. We should look at them as little opportunities to continue to grow and progress.

I know that this is all easier said than done. Society's pull is extremely strong sometimes. It is easy to listen to the voices of the media, friends, and even family members. But when we see that the weaknesses that we have are perceived by society as faults we need to remember society is wrong.


Come What May and Love It!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answered Prayers

To those of you who heard my testimony today, I apologize that I am repeating myself. This is an experience I just needed to write down for myself. Let's rewind to Monday night. I hadn't been feeling all that great. I had only gotten 3 hours of sleep the night before. I just was ready to go to bed. I told myself that I would come home from FHE and go to sleep. I was in my pajamas by 8:30- crazy for a college student, right? One of my friends dropped in for a visit. After she left, I had one of those moments where I just felt completely alone. I went to my room and prayed when a few simple words came to my mind. "Heavenly Father, Are you really there? And do you hear and answer every child's prayer?" These two lines from the children's primary song were stuck in my mind. In the moment, it is easy to doubt that Heavenly Father answers our prayers. How can He really hear every single prayer around the world? How can He answer every single one? It just

Becoming Myself: A Year in the Making

I have never really had the opportunity to be myself. I have always felt the need to hide who I really am because of those around me. The first time I remember doing this was in third grade. My third grade teacher was strict. This is much more than just the normal "mean teacher"- she would threaten to hang us by our toenails in the corner if we did not behave. Before third grade, I was very outgoing, but I lost that because of fear. It just went deeper and deeper as the years went on. My freshman year of college, I told myself that I was going to start new. I tried to be myself, but it was really hard. Then with roommate issues, I turned back into my shell. I hid who I was. The next year, I moved in with the"friends" that I had made Freshman year. 4 girls who I thought I could trust through everything. Things happened and by the time winter semester came, my two best friends moved out to go on missions and the other two girls who I had known since Freshman year

Our Story (Part 2)

Our Story:  Starting Our Relationship Part 2 of 2 Kindred Dead Show (1 month into dating) Our story was a little different than most, but I love it that way. I left off where we were just friends. When I say that we were just friends, I completely mean it. I didn't have feelings for him, he didn't have feelings for me. We both had moved on to other people. Life continued to move forward. As I said before, Gariet helped me through one of my hardest times with depression. He helped me when I just needed a friend. I needed him more as a friend than anything else. Meeting Gariet's Family We both went home for winter break. Gariet knew that I was worried about this because of everything that I was going through at that time. He stood by me, even though he forgot his phone in Utah. He would send me Facebook messages, iMessages, and called me on Skype. I started to realize that I still had feelings for this crazy boy. I kept denying it. I couldn't like