Skip to main content

Change

It is crazy to think that two years ago I graduated from high school. This may not seem like that long for a lot of you, but for me it seems like an eternity. 
 
 I was reflecting today on how my life has changed in the last two years. Even in the last year, I feel like I have become a completely different person. I feel like I am not the same Amy that got up and gave a speech at graduation. I am not the same Amy that worked at Arby's. I am not the same Amy who finished up her Freshman year of college. This is the new Amy. Amy 2.0 if you will.

Why was I reflecting on this, you ask? Today was Y-Group Leader Training for Summer NSO. It made me think back to last Fall's Y-Group Leader Training. I was a new mentor and felt very inadequate. I was shy and nervous. I felt like I couldn't be a peer mentor. I had just gone through Fall Training with all of these absolutely brilliant mentors. Why had I even been hired? I still wonder this sometimes, but looking back to who I was a year ago I see that my supervisors must have seen some sort of potential. They must have seen that I could have a growth mindset and be a good mentor. They saw that they could mold me into what a mentor should be. As I went to YGL training today, I felt like a new person. I remembered that Amy 1.0 from last year. If she only knew what changes would come from taking this job, I think that she might have been a little more confident. If only she knew...

This job has changed me. I am a completely new person. I feel like I am a better student, a better mentor, a better mentee, and overall a better person. I am grateful everyday for my opportunity to work with Freshman Mentoring. I wonder who I would be if I had not been shoved so far above my comfort zone.

So you can change. But how does change come about? Change does not happen overnight. It takes days, weeks, months, years to change. For me, I had to go out of my comfort zone. I think that is how all change has to take place. You have to be willing to change. You won't change if you stay being the same person who you are right now. It just won't happen.

With my job, we often talk about this thing called a growth mindset. This comes from an insightful book called Mindset by Carol S. Dweck. I highly recommend it to anyone.
"When you enter a mindset, you enter a new world. In one world--the world of fixed traits--success is about proving you're smart or talented. Validating yourself. If the other--the world of changing qualities--it's about stretching yourself to learn something new. Developing yourself."
 This book is all about how to get into the growth mindset. Something that allows you to grow and change.  I recognize that my change only came when I had a growth mindset. I could have allowed myself to quit. I told myself multiple times "I can't do this." I really did not believe that I could. However, I made my decision that I was going to be a mentor and I had to stick with it. Something had to change. I had to change.

I am constantly changing. I am constantly needing to have a growth mindset about everything. School, Work, Family, Dating. Everything.

So when you think that you can't change, you are right. When you think you can't do something, you are right. But you can change. You can!

 It is great to see where you have come to see where you are going. I hope that I have helped changed you for the better.
I truly believe that every person we meet, every experience we go through, each day that we live on the earth changes us. I am a different person than I was yesterday. To quote Wicked "Because I knew you, I have been changed for good."

This post has been all over the place, I am sorry. I just love the opportunity to get my thoughts out into something more real then my head.

This is my life.
Come what may and love it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answered Prayers

To those of you who heard my testimony today, I apologize that I am repeating myself. This is an experience I just needed to write down for myself. Let's rewind to Monday night. I hadn't been feeling all that great. I had only gotten 3 hours of sleep the night before. I just was ready to go to bed. I told myself that I would come home from FHE and go to sleep. I was in my pajamas by 8:30- crazy for a college student, right? One of my friends dropped in for a visit. After she left, I had one of those moments where I just felt completely alone. I went to my room and prayed when a few simple words came to my mind. "Heavenly Father, Are you really there? And do you hear and answer every child's prayer?" These two lines from the children's primary song were stuck in my mind. In the moment, it is easy to doubt that Heavenly Father answers our prayers. How can He really hear every single prayer around the world? How can He answer every single one? It just

Becoming Myself: A Year in the Making

I have never really had the opportunity to be myself. I have always felt the need to hide who I really am because of those around me. The first time I remember doing this was in third grade. My third grade teacher was strict. This is much more than just the normal "mean teacher"- she would threaten to hang us by our toenails in the corner if we did not behave. Before third grade, I was very outgoing, but I lost that because of fear. It just went deeper and deeper as the years went on. My freshman year of college, I told myself that I was going to start new. I tried to be myself, but it was really hard. Then with roommate issues, I turned back into my shell. I hid who I was. The next year, I moved in with the"friends" that I had made Freshman year. 4 girls who I thought I could trust through everything. Things happened and by the time winter semester came, my two best friends moved out to go on missions and the other two girls who I had known since Freshman year

Our Story (Part 2)

Our Story:  Starting Our Relationship Part 2 of 2 Kindred Dead Show (1 month into dating) Our story was a little different than most, but I love it that way. I left off where we were just friends. When I say that we were just friends, I completely mean it. I didn't have feelings for him, he didn't have feelings for me. We both had moved on to other people. Life continued to move forward. As I said before, Gariet helped me through one of my hardest times with depression. He helped me when I just needed a friend. I needed him more as a friend than anything else. Meeting Gariet's Family We both went home for winter break. Gariet knew that I was worried about this because of everything that I was going through at that time. He stood by me, even though he forgot his phone in Utah. He would send me Facebook messages, iMessages, and called me on Skype. I started to realize that I still had feelings for this crazy boy. I kept denying it. I couldn't like